Monday 11 December 2017

Let's Get Christmassy with ... Val Portelli (Voinks)



We’re getting festive here with some special peeps and today we get Christmassy with Val Portelli (Voinks)


Hello Val



Please tell us a little about you and if you are a reader, Blogger or author.


I’ve always been a reader, and loved writing, but only became a ‘proper’ author when a freak accident left me bed-bound and going stir-crazy. To save my sanity I wrote my first book, it was published and I was hooked. A Facebook author page followed at the insistence of my niece, then my second book was published. Another niece helped me set up my blog, and I found the confidence to self-publish my third book. In between working on several other novels, I also write and post weekly short stories on every imaginable subject, often inspired by social media.


What is your favourite Christmas memory?




There are so many as I love Christmas, even if I’m a bit Bah Humbug when advertising starts before I get back from my summer holiday. All it takes to change my mood is to dig out the Christmas box of decorations, most as old as the hills. The singing Santa who doesn’t sing any more now takes his place on the blow-up Rudolph’s back as they ride across the front-room window. The knitted Christmas tree I bought in La Gomera belongs at the foot of the bannisters, the red Santa boots, and the red and green stockings accompany you in decreasing sizes as you mount the stairs. It takes ages to put up the rest as each evokes memories from when they first became part of the tradition. Throw them away? You must be kidding.


What is your favourite Christmas food?


Turkey, stuffing, dates and figs, Christmas pudding, mince pies, satsumas, I love them all. I’ll even eat spouts although they’re not my favourite. Does sherry count? I’d never think of having it at any other time of the year, but somehow it seems appropriate. My Mother was never a drinker, but one Christmas was worrying over the lunch being ready on time. She accepted a sherry, I topped it up when she wasn’t looking, then found my sister was doing the same. Lunch was late but she stopped worrying, even if she was a bit giggly.


What is your favourite Christmas song?

I love the traditional old Carols. O little town of Bethlehem, In the bleak midwinter, Silent Night, White Christmas, Little drummer boy and many others all have their place. It starts to feel like Christmas the first time I hear ‘A spaceman came travelling’ but it’s not really Christmas until Noddy Holder shouts ‘It’s Christmas!’
Now I’m giving my age away.


What is your favourite Christmas photo? Please tell us why



Most of my favourite old photos are still sitting in boxes waiting to be transferred to my computer, but this one (courtesy of Pixabay) always sums up the spirit of Christmas to me. (It’s also my way of trying to get on Santa’s good girl list.)


Thank you for inviting me Pauline, it’s been lovely reviving Christmas memories.
I’d like to wish you and all your readers a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year. May Santa be good to you, and fulfil all your dreams



You can find Val at all of these...


Spirit of Technology







ABC Destiny





Changes

Trailer







Facebook author page



Blog





Please come back tomorrow to find out what makes Lynne Milford Christmas Christmassy

No comments: